It’s been a while since we’ve done a savory recipe, so we wanted to do something fun! Crab cakes are an item you’ll often see on the appetizer list at fancy restaurants or seafood establishments, and that can make them seem exclusive and almost daunting to try making at home. But in reality, crab cakes are fairly easy to make, and you deserve to be able to make them in the comforts of your home.
A little disclaimer, most Lion’s Mane Crab Cake recipes call for shredded Lion’s Mane mushroom as a vegan substitute for crab – this particular recipe is not vegan (sorry!!). Rather, this recipe adds a healthy flourish to traditional crab cakes by adding in Lion’s Mane powder from MyPure™ Lion’s Mane capsules. We hope you have a chance to enjoy these as much as we do!
Why Lion’s Mane mushrooms?
The Lion’s Mane mushroom has a rich history of being used in Traditional Chinese Medicine and is a well-known nootropic. We chose to include Lion’s Mane mushrooms because they are packed with antioxidants, beta-glucans, and diterpenes which help promote cognitive function, mental clarity, and neural restoration. It also helps boost immune defense and acts as a digestive aid.* (It also helps that it has an almost lobster-like taste too!)
MyPure™ Lion’s Mane provides 500 mg of our 1:1 extract of our 100% non-GMO, certified organic Lion’s Mane mushrooms, and contains more Beta-D-glucans and other nutrients than two capsules of Lion’s Mane mycelia grown on grain.*
Servings: Makes 6 large crab cakes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes, plus at least 30 minutes to let the crab cakes set
Total Time: 75-90 minutes
2 large eggs
2-½ tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
6 capsules MyPure™ Lion’s Mane
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-pound fresh lump crab meat
2/3 cup saltine cracker crumbs (about 14 crackers) or panko breadcrumbs
Optional: 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1. In a bowl, combine together egg, mayo, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, lemon juice, Old Bay, cayenne, parsley, the powder from the MyPure™ Lion’s Mane capsules, and season with salt.
2. Add in the crab meat (be sure to check the meat for any hard and sharp cartilage) and cracker crumbs; using a rubber spatula, gently fold the mixture together until just combined, being careful not to shred the crab meat.
3. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
Ready to Bake
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Generously grease a rimmed baking sheet with butter or nonstick spray.
2. Using a ½ cup measuring cup, portion the crab cake mixture into 6 mounds. Use your hands to compact each mound so there are no lumps sticking out or falling apart and place them on the prepared baking sheet. For extra flavor, brush each with melted butter.
3. Bake 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges and on top. Serve warm with either fresh lemon juice drizzled on top or tartar sauce.