Lemon Oatmeal Lion’s Mane Muffins Recipe
Have you ever noticed that sometimes you crave different flavors based on the season? Like in the fall, you might crave pumpkin; at Christmas, apples are lovely; and in the Spring, cucumbers and melons might suit your fancy. During summer, there are a few flavors that seem heavenly because they offer a cool, refreshing taste. Mint and grapes are fantastic, but to some people, lemon is where it’s at.
The lemon complements any recipe with its subtle and graceful yet mouthwatering zesty flavor. Naturally, it seemed like the perfect flavor to build a summery muffin recipe around. This recipe can be easily modified to fit gluten-free and dairy-free needs. And with minimal natural sugar content, it’s the perfect no-guilt-attached muffin to have with breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as a snack!
Why are they “No-Guilt-Attached” muffins?
Not only are they low-sugar, with less calories than those delicious blueberry jumbo muffins that you can get from the bakery – these muffins contain the health-boosting ingredients oat flour, chia seeds, and lion’s mane.
Oat flour offers a fibrous alternative to all-purpose flour that can help you stay full longer. It contains both soluble and insoluble fibers which can help prevent cardiovascular diseases and support your digestive system. And soluble fiber helps boost production of good bacteria in your digestive tract which can help lower the absorption of bad cholesterol. Studies have also shown that oat flour can help normalize blood pressure and control blood sugar levels.
Oat flour is also rich in antioxidants and has a plethora of vitamins and minerals that help boost heart and bone health. And oats are naturally gluten-free, although there is some concern that they may be processed in the same facility as wheat, rye, or barley – best practice is to look for the gluten-free icon to ensure your oat flour is truly gluten-free.
Chia seeds are one of our favorite recipe staples. They’re flavorless by themselves, but they’ll take on the flavor of whatever they’re mixed with. They’re also very filling!
Chia seeds are a SuperFood that is a great source of antioxidants, fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. They also contain high amounts of important minerals like calcium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc, as well as B complex vitamins.
Lion’s Mane mushrooms are packed with antioxidants, beta-glucans, and diterpenes. This mushroom has long been used as part of Traditional Chinese Medicine and is well known to promote cognitive function, mental clarity, and neural restoration. It also helps boost immune defense and acts as a digestive aid.
MyPure™ Lion’s Mane provides 500 mg of our 1:1 extract of our 100% non-GMO, certified organic Royal Lion’s Mane mushrooms, and contains more Beta-D-glucans and other nutrients than two capsules of Lion’s Mane mycelia grown on grain.*
Serving size: 6 jumbo muffins or 12 regular-size muffins
1-¾ cup oat flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt (or salt substitute)
½ cup honey
½ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
¼ cup milk of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoon chia seeds
12 capsules MyPure™ Lion's Mane
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and spray a 6-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray or use muffin liners. Set aside.
2. Combine the oat flour, baking soda, salt, and the powder from the MyPure™ Lion's Mane capsules together in a small mixing bowl.
3. In a separate large mixing bowl, blend the eggs with coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, milk, lemon juice and lemon zest.
4. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir a few times using a spatula. Add in the chia seeds. Fold everything together gently just until combined.
5. Spoon the batter into muffin liners, filling them all the way to the top. Lightly sprinkle them with coconut sugar and lemon zest if desired.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling.
8. Serve and enjoy!